Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Perugia/Assisi

The train to Perugia in the region of Umbria was a dream. Rolling green hills and vineyards passing. It was a region frozen in time. Perugia is the capital of the region Umbria, but it was very medieval and still had all the architecture thus. One of my favorite towns in all of Italy, the whole feeling was welcoming and no one spoke english. Also, the nicest people I met in all of Italy in this region. I can't tell you how many people shook my hand. I had great conversations with the most random people. It was bustling too because Al Gore was in town because it was the international journalism conference. The morning air was crisp and a little moist. I went to the lookout point by myself and sat their in the eastern sun looking at the panorama that was spread out before me. This country is so incredible with its secrets. I will never uncover them all...but I can try.

Assisi. The hometown of St. Francis. I have been waiting to go since I arrived, and I am glad I waited until the weather was nicer. The train pulled up to the station and I stepped out with my roommate Alex. We saw Assisi, on the hill overlooking the Umbrian valley. There was not a cloud in the sky and the temperature was absolutely perfect. The bus ride up the hill took 10 minutes and brought us right up to the entrance of Assisi. It was quiet. Sunny. Clean. A beautiful city. The green of the valley looked almost fake but it was very very real. Many hills and alleys in this medieval town. I appreciated the architecture as I passed and watched as monks walked by frequently. The stillness of the whole area was tranquil and reassuring. There were churches every ten feet and the franciscan symbols everywhere. We spent a whole day there relaxing in the fields. Lots of hiking and vineyards. We ate at a great place and then walked around some more visiting the main Church of Saint Francis which was awesome! Assisi was a very touching experience to be so close to something as holy as St. Francis...I loved it.

For now, I venture back to Rome, only a short time left...

No comments:

Post a Comment