Thursday, January 14, 2010

Can it get any better!??!!!

So I am shocked... I thought I knew it all! I am obviously a nieve Wisconsin kid. Rome is INCREDIBLE! I thought I knew some part of it, then it shows me a whole new side! SO much to learn!

So an update on my roommates. My final one came today and he is from Marquette. His name is Zak and he seems like a cool kid, so no problem there. So finally my apartment is filled with 5 Marquette guys and 1 Long Island-haha, what a scream. Basically the rooming situation is great and we have a perfect arrangement!

For other matters, we went out on the town for the first time tonight in Rome. Let me just say...wowwwwww. Italians know their stuff America! We went to Campo dei Fiori(A piazza or main square) and went to the bars there. There are like four main american bars and they are all crazy. We went with a bunch of americans but obviously I was not having it. So here is where the night got phenomenal.

The story that follows is true in all of its events and occurances.

So we go to the first bar after having a couple wine glasses at the apartment...(remember everyone this is ALL legal here in Italy) and we chill out there for a bit. Let me just say though that this pizza is BOOMING with activity of americans and Italians alike. My new roommate Zak gets a bloody nose and runs out of the bar. After ten minutes of his dissapearnace I tell the others that we should try to find him becasue he speaks no italian and we were worried. So we go outside and find him only to be approached my an italian smoking(obviously) and he asks how we are doing in italian. I respond accordingly in the same tongue and he freaks out becasue an American speaks Itlaian(I know...Amazing right?) Anyway he then tells me where he is from and funny enough I am going to his hometown in three weeks to teach english at a middle school. At this, he flips out and calls his two friends over, Francesco and Benedetta. They are all really nice but I know not to trust anybody right away so I give it like 30 minutes before I know they are legit...I know my gut feeling and my alarm bells were not ringing. SO they tell me to come to the other american bar across the piazza. So we go and they ask us if we want to drink...we said yes. We then all "chin chined"(cheers in italian) with rum and some banana juice weird chaser...don't ask. Long story short they want to smoke(like chimneys I tell you! CRAZY!) so we end up outside talking. Francesco is speaking broken english with my roomates about american bands and so forth and I am talking to Benedetta in Italian and she is telling me all the tips and tricks of Rome. Basically, we made some great Italian friends who are not sketchy like most of them, and we said goodbye see ya later yada yada yada and walked all the way back to the apartment. BUT, on the way back we ran into some lost spaniards who were shouting in Spanish for directions tho the party. I politley obliged in turn with the directions to the bars in the piazza in Castillian, although I'm sure by this time it was a mix of Italian and spanish becasue after speaking italian for so long it was a bit hard to switch to spanish immediately...but whatever, they got the picture!

There is just so much to tell that words just don't do it justice! I am having the time of my life and hey...ITS THE THIRD FREAKIN DAY! I can't wait to start service work and improve my language even more! There is just SO much to learn I don't know what to do!!!

Wow it's 4 in the mornign and I have to wake up by 8 tomorrow...so I am going to bed! Ciao Tutti! Thanks for reading! More andventures to come!

Blake

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha... if Rome makes you feel like a naive Wisconsin kid, I'd love to see what you'd think of Amsterdam. lol

    Glad to see you're having lots of fun already, and if you do make it up to A'dam, let me know!

    ReplyDelete