Tuesday, January 12, 2010

FIRST DAY!

Ok, So I finally found internet access! It is noon here in the Bella Citta di Roma and I am about to go find a pizzeria to go eat. The Plane ride was very good! Kudos to Alitalia! Unfortunately I didn't sit next to an Italian...but a Texan with a HUGE accent! Haha, just my luck. Well I took a couple of tylenol PM and the next thing I know we are landing!!! My anticipation was radiating off of me! Once I got to the airport I had no idea what to do...but drawing from previous knowledge of what to do I acted like I did this every day-then all the other americans followed me! Haha, I was laughing inside because I was just following signs out of the corner of my eye. I had my little italian satchel and coat...needless to say I blended right in! That is until I boarded the train...forgot to punch the ticket or something and the lady told me I was going to be fined 50 Euro... I put up a true Roman fight though and the local girl across from me argued in my favor- so I got off the hook...this time. Anyway, becasue I was so distracted with the whole ticket thing I missed my stop and the girl across from me just shrugged her shoulders like "beh, not my fault". Gotta love Romans. No problem though becasue I just exited at the next stop and found a taxi driver that looked hat honest and I asked if he could give me a ride. So, ten minutes later and with a knew friend in the cab I exited only to be greeted by the owner of the hotel who gave me a tour of the building. He was overjoyed that I spoke Italian becasue it was a lot less stress on him! The apartment is beautiful! Unfortunately I am only here for the night until I move into the University tommorw. Wow, already within ten hours so much has happened! It is all a mental overload Unfortuantely when people see me they start in English...that will change. I am already mentally noting how to walk look and swagger like a Roman.

On my way back to my apartment, a guy from next door started talking to me and we ended up chatting for a long while. He is some argentinian and so I got to practice my spanish! Anyway, I told him I was hungry so he told me to go to this place up the street and say that Raul sent me. I laughed inside but did as told with much reward! I got a cheap place with excellent food and great conversation!

Well, it is time for me to clean up and explore some more! So far my first 24 hours in Rome are more than I could have imagined! Ciao tutti! Grazie!

Blake

1 comment:

  1. Blake Brigman. I cannot explain how impressed I am with your little story telling abilities. Please get into more mischief everyday in Rome until you return. This has real memoir potentioal. Love, Laura.

    ReplyDelete