Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Rome2

Wow! So much walking, eating, talking, and eating...I love it! Such a different way of life here! Shops are open at very specific hours and it seems never when you want them. Even when they are open all the owners are leaning against the front door smoking in that ever so specific european fashion. It's no wonder everyone does it here because what else would you do with 1/2 of your day? (Um I don't know-maybe work!)

I now have 4 roomates three of whom are from Marquette and 1 is from Long Island. I can't tell you how funny it is to listen to him(Dan) without smiling. The accent is unbelieveable. The greatest part though, is that when he came in and said hi, the third sentence he said was, "wow, you guys have really thick accents". Every single one of us just exploded in laughter and told them that THEY have the accents...Funny how the world works. Maybe we do have the accents, eh I don't want to think that hard, we can leave that question to Aristotle. Anyway I bought some wine at this great place down the street and I made sure to make friends with the shop owner, she is really nice and loved my italian. She made it a point to help me with my vocabulary too and told me how to say wine opener(cavatappi(but real italians say apre di bottiglia)) and other cool things. She also discounted the wine for me, haha what a night. Anyway we returned to our apartment which is quite a walk which I said before, and we opened the wine and champagne(Prosecco actually in Italy but really good). We stayed in our kitchen which as you can see from the picture is quite an arrange of interesting colors. The bathroom is really cool, although all us yankees are still skeptical about this "bedet" thing... O yea and that door in my bedroom the first picture leads to a great balcony where I can sip my espresso while watching the activity on the street! Che Bella!

I still can't believe everything is happening. Rome has so many secrets in ints architecture and roads, but most of all in its culture and people. I intend to do my best to learn as much as I can with my language and enthusiasm. Also, (Mom skip to the next line please) I am determined to ride a motorino(moped) before I leave.

It is hard to sleep with the time change and my mind whirring with all my experiences. For instance, I ate with some friends in Campo di Fiori and right behind us were frenchmen eating too. I was often distracted at the table and caught eavsdropping by my friends who thought I was zoning out...But hey, I can't help it, it's like a game to me.

Well, it's 1 in the morning and I guess I should sleep if there is any hope to keep this blog going, although I have a feeling it will taper off a little as school and traveling starts. I hope everybody is well in the States and I hope that Wisconsin winter is treating you well because I am glad to be rid of it! Haha. C'est la Vie..shoot wrong one...E La Vita Bella! Ciao!


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. So here's the deal. Elyise and I had a chat today and we both decided that reading your blog is one of our favorite things to do everyday. We hope you keep writing everyday otherwise..well, we won't have anything to read. We thought it would be cool to start our own blog and write our thoughts about your time in Italy, but instead, we are going to comment on every post you, well, post. So get ready! haha

    ReplyDelete