Saturday, January 16, 2010

Roma che bella!

So I woke up at 11am...that has NEVER happened! The problem here though is that the shutters close out absolutely all light so I never wake up! I can't say I was upset though becasue it was another long night in the Campo(bar piazza). Rome is so welcoming and open! Now, I go on my balcony in the morning with my espresso reading the paper and I greet my neighbors as they pass! We are building a great relationship and gaining "bella figura" (good impression) for the John Cabot students.

Today was a day that we realized we needed to go shopping for italian clothes becasue we stuck out SO much! People were at the point of staring! I was fed up with this and so we went to the local clothing store and bought sunglasses, shirts, and we want to get shoes tomorrow. I just have this picture what you see in the movies when there are a group of 4 people walking side by side in slow motion all geared up european style, just strutting down the street. We are almost there! I can tell we are getting closer becasue the other Cabot kids are now asking some of us for directions because we look like the locals. Funny, I know.

Right now we are cooking for a potluck dinner we are having with the JCU girls down the street. We are bringing wine as a gift and making classic bruschetta and a tasty pasta. Then I think we are going clubbing at a discoteca if it is not too expensive. If it is, then we will stick to the bars. But, because the bars are very expensive too, the main rule here is Pregaming. That is the key.

Ok, so I am going to go plan my trip to Florence right now and book all the reservations and stuff. I can't believe it has been only 5 days...It is absolutely crazy how much has happened and what I have learned. I do see the culture shock hitting some people more than others though, and I think it has to do with how relaxed and open you are to change and just to go with the flow. It is hard to think about home when I am eating some of the greatest food in the world, walking amongst some of the most historically filled streets, speaking the language of beauty, and enjoying this great Roman weather. I have to be honest...home is the farthest thing from my mind right now.

Now I must go and prepare for the night ahead filled with friends, food, wine, and Italian! Ciao Tutti!

Biagio

2 comments:

  1. There are many discoteques where women get in free, at least for some nights; I'm sure Luca will know all about them. If taht's the case, go with some girls and split the cost amongst your group.

    Good Luck with that and, especially, pregaming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blake - you sound rested and more in pace with the Italians. Glad you are enjoying the food and "native" people. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete